Final Project



Jennifer Tan Qing Ni 0333137
Illustration and Visual Narratives
Final Project - Cinematic Parallax

Week 10
For the final project, we were introduced to something called a parallax. A parallax is a scrolling effect in which it creates an illusion of something having depth. We were also asked to include the transitions that we learnt from he previous assignment. We were given a choice to illustrate anything. From songs to stories or even poems. For me, when I was introduced to the assignment, the first thing that I could think of was my favourite song by my favourite South Korean Boy Group- BTS. The song is called Spring Day is my favourite song of all time.



So first I had to do some digging. I did some research here and there and found out that this song might be dedicated to the victims of the Sewol Ferry Incident that happened during Spring 2014 in South Korea. Their choreography, music video and lyrics were somehow connected to the incident

Figure 1.1 Choreography that indicates a boat

FIgure 1.2 The Sewol Ferry
After doing some other research, I decided to break down the lyrics that I'll be using when illustrating the scenes. Below is the chorus and I'll be using it in my panels.

Snowflakes fall down and get away,
little by little,
I miss you, 
I miss you
How long do I have to wait?
And How many sleepless nights do I have to spend?
To see you,
To meet you

Passing by the edge of this cold winter
Until the days of Spring
Until the day the flowers bloom
Please stay, 
Please stay there a little longer.

In my perspective, I believe this song is about 2 best friends that misses each other very much and they are waiting till Spring Day so that they can meet each other. I then wrote the lyrics down and I decided to write down what each lyric will be in the panels.
Figure 1.3 Lyrics Breakdown

Figure 1.4 Mindmap 

I then sketched out what I had in mind for the panels.
Figure 1.5 Panel 1

Figure 1.6 Panel 2

Figure 1.7 Panel 3

Figure 1.8 Panel 4

Figure 1.9 Panel 5


Week 11
When I showed Mr Hafiz my sketches, he thought that there were too little panels for a long song.
After some sketching here and there, I went to find inspirations in Pinterest, to kind of get a sense of what I want to do.

Figure 1.10 Mood board 1

Figure 1.11 Mood board 2

Figure 1.12 Mood board 3 
Figure 1.13 Mood board 4

Week 11 - Week 14
After that, I went on to illustrating it on photoshop by digitally painting it.

Figure 1.14 Illustrating panel 1 
Figure 1.15 Panel 2

Figure 1.16 Panel 3

Figure 1.17 Panel 4
Figure 1.18 Panel 5

Figure 1.19 Panel 6
Figure 1.20 Panel 7

Figure 1.21 Panel 8

Figure 1.22 Panel 9

Figure 1.23 Panel 10


Figure 1.24 Panel 11


After that, I uploaded all the panels into media fire in order to make it parallax and also to animate it.

Figure 1.25 Madefire

Figure 1.26 Madefire
After I finished animating it, it kept failing. So I decided to screen record the interactive book.


The Final Outcome
Below is my video.(the music you hear behind is the music box version of the actual song)



To summarise, I find this assignment quite fun. The only annoying part was madefire. It was really annoying to use this software as it kept crashing. But all in all, This course was a stressful but really fun experience.

Comments

Popular Posts