Project 2


Jennifer Tan Qing Ni (0333137)
Illustration and Visual Narratives
Project 2- Graphic Novel



Week 6
This week, we were introduced to the 2nd project, which is graphic novel. We were given a choice to either illustrate an urban legend or a story from poestories, which were stories written by Edward Allen Poe. So I went to Poestories and looked through the stories that they had there and one particular story caught my eye, which was 'A Tell Tale Heart'.For this project, we also had to emphasise on the types of transitions used. Earlier we learnt about the types of transitions when it comes to a comic.

  • Moment to Moment
  • Action to Action
  • Subject to Subject
  • Scene to Scene 
  • Aspect to Aspect
  • Non- Sequiter


'A Tell Tale Heart' is a story of a confession of a murder by a young man. There was an old man living as a neighbour next door to the young man. To the old man, he was always seen as a bad person so everyday the young man would visit so he could change his perspective and get rid of the evil eye the old man had for him. But it never worked so the young man got furious. So he decided to plan the perfect murder. How? Every night he had access to the old man's house cause he had a key so he would get into the house to 'observe'. After observing every night, one night, he finally did it. But after the deed was done, some policeman came to his house as people heard screaming noises. Th e policeman decided to investigate his house. In the end, he couldn't keep his secret so he finally confessed about the murder on the spot.

After reading the story, I decided to make a mind map so I could have a better understanding of the story. Also I believed that a mind map can be a summary so I could illustrate the comic better.

Figure 1.1 Mind Map.

Week 7
After making a mind map, I decided to to look at some comic panels for inspiration as I was really a beginner to digital art. I tried to observe what a good comic would look like. I observed the colour scheme used, transitions, compositions and the style of drawing.

Figure 1.2 Inspiration

After some observing, there was 1 particular comic that caught my eye, which was this one

Figure 1.3 comic panel that caught my eye.


After that, I decided to sketch out panels on paper so that it won't be a hassle when I'll illustrating the graphic novel. I also included a number of transitions in the comic.
Figure 1.4  Page 1 sketch
Figure 1.5 Page 2 sketch
Figure 1.6 Page 3  sketch 


Figure 1.7 Page 4 sketch
Week 8-10 Illustrating
After sketching on what I ad in mind, I decided to go with the idea an digitalise it. When illustrating it, I did use a number of references in order to finish this assignment. Below are a few that I used when I illustrated the graphic novel .

Figure 1.8 Moodboard
I first drew the panels out.

Figure 1.9 Panels (page 1)
Then I started draw on it. The belayer is the sketch and ink.

Figure 1.10 Ink (pg1)

Figure 1.11 Ink (pg2)

Figure 1.12 Ink (pg 3)

Figure 1.13 Ink (pg 4)
Then I started to colour, having the main subject colour, background, highlight and shadow having different layers.
Figure 1.14 colouring process

Figure 1.15 Colouring process 2

Figure 1.16 Colouring Process 3

Week 10-The Final Outcome

Figure 1.17 Page 1

Figure 1.18 Page 2

Figure 1.19 Page 3

Figure 1.20 Page 4
Transitions used:
Page 1

  • Aspect to Aspect
  • Moment to Moment


Page 2

  • Subject to Subject


Page 3

  • Action to Action


Page 4

  • Moment to Moment
  • Scene to scene

Comments

Popular Posts