Exercises


2 April 2019 (week 1) - x (week 14)
Jennifer Tan Qing Ni (033313)
Typography
Exercises


LECTURES
Lecture 1: MIB & Introduction
Week 1 | 2 April 2019

For the first class of advanced typography, Mr Vinod started to brief us about what to expect in the new semester for this subjects. He then briefed us about our assignments and some upcoming projects that we will be doing. 

Week 2 | 9 April 2019
Last week, we were told to prepare a presentation for each typographic system. So this week, we presented what we have prepared to our lecturers and our classmates. Each group was assigned to presenting one or 1 typographic systems. 
There were a total of 8 typographic. 
  • Axial
  • Radial
  • Dilatational 
  • Random
  • Grid
  • Modular
  • Transitional
  • Bilateral
My group was in charge of radial and dilatational
Below is the compilation of our presentation.


Week 3 | 16th April 2019
There was no lectures this week. We continued with our work and printed our thumbnails.

Week 4 | 23rd April 2019
This week, a presentation was given by history of Roman alphabets by our classmates.

Week 5 | 30th April 2019
There were no lectures this week. We continued with our work and received feedback from Mr Vinod




INSTRUCTIONS



EXERCISE
Exercise 1: Typographic Systems
Week 1

For this week we were asked to go back to prepare for a presentation for the 2nd week, which is about the different typographic systems. We were also asked to learn about the typographic system and create kind of like a poster for an event in InDesign.



The Design School, Taylor’s University
The Troublemakers Manifesto: A Design Colloquium

Open Public Lectures: November 24, 2019

Lew Pik Svonn, 9AM-10AM Ezrena Mohd., 10AM-11AM Suzy Sulaiman, 11AM-12PM

November 25, 2019

Dr. Clarissa Ai Ling Li, 9AM-10AM Professor John Sabraw, 10AM-11AM Dr. Liyanna Khairuddin, 11AM-12PM

Lecture Theatre 12

Above is the information we have to include when creating the poster.
Below are some sketches before digitalising it. 




Figure 1.1 Progress 1

Figure 1.2 Progress 2


Week 2

After letting Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul have a brief check, he told me to just focus on using black and white first as colours may distract us. Until we are satisfied with what we have done, only then we should use one colour of our liking. So I opened a new file and changed it to black and white.

Figure 1.3 Progress 3

Figure 1.4 Progress 4


Week 3
This week, we came with our work that we continued from last week, which were the typographic systems. He then told us to print out a thumbnail to see how it would look like.

Figure 1.5 Axial

Figure 1.6 Radial

Figure 1.7 Dilatational

Figure 1.8 Random

Figure 1.9 Grid

Figure 1.10 Transitional

Figure 1.11 Modular

Figure 1.12 Bilateral



Week 4
This week we showed our printed thumbnails to Mr Vinod. Later, after receiving feedback, modular needed changing.
Figure 1.13 Original

Figure 1.14 Attempt 2 on Modular


Figure 1.15 3rd attempt





Final Outcome

Figure 1.16 Axial #1

Figure 1.17 Axial #2

Figure 1.18 Radial #1


Figure 1.19 Radial #2
Figure 1.20 Dilatational #1

Figure 1.21 Dilatational #2



Figure 1.22 Random #1

Figure 1.23 Random #2


Figure 1.24 Grid #1

Figure 1.25 Grid #2

Figure 1.26 Transitional #1

Figure 1.27 Transitional #2

Figure 1.28  Modular #1


Figure 1.29 Modular #2 

Figure 1.30 Bilateral #1

Figure 1.31 Bilateral#2

Figure 1.32 Thumbnails #1

Figure 1.33 Thumbnails #2



Week 4-5
Exercise 2: Type & Play
For this week, we begin on a new exercise, which is type and play. This is the 1st part to this exercise in which we were required to find letters/type in everyday things. It could be patterns or anything. We were required to take pictures of them and trace on them. I decided to do a rock wall. The amount of letters we needed to find were around 4-5.

Figure 2.1 The rock wall that ill be finding my type


Figure 2.2 Tracing

Figure 2.3 Finding the letter 'F"

Figure 2.4 Extraction of 'F'

Figure 2.5 Found a 'T'

Figure 2.6 Extracting the 'T'

Figure 2.8 Found a 'N' or 'Z'

Figure 2.9 Extracting

Figure 2.10 Found an 'E'

Figure 2.11 Extracting

Figure 2.12 Found a 'B' 

Figure 2.13 Extracting 'B'

Figure 2.14 Found an 'I'

Figure 2.15 Extracting the 'I'
Figure 2.16 The extracted letters

After extracting the words, I went on to refining it. First, I went online to look the type of typefaces and decided to create one.

I made a rough sketch of the typeface.

Figure 2.17 The sketch of the typeface 
Then I digitalised it on Adobe Illustrator.

Figure 2.18 Digitalised version

Then I started to apply the characteristics on the digitalised version of the typeface.
Figure 2.19 Applying and refining

Figure 2.20 Progress

Figure 2.21 Progress 

Figure 2.22 Progress
Figure 2.23 Continued Refining
Figure 2.24 The refining progress

Figure 2.5 Initial extracted letters

Figure 2.6 The final outcome after refining

Week 5-6
For week 5, we proceeded to the 2nd part of type and play. For this week, we were required to make a poster in which  man made structure/ nature has to be used while combining it with text like words or a sentence.

I first went on Pexel to find some stock photos that I will be combining for the poster.
Figure 2.7 Statue of Liberty

Figure 2.8 Sky

Figure 2.9 Moon

Then I proceeded to combining it together in photoshop.

Figure 2.10 Photoshopping progress


Figure 2.11 The composition that I went with

Then I imported everything to illustrator so I could design the text there. Since it relates with New York City, I decided to go with Alicia Keys's song title, which is 'Empire State of Mind'. Then I started to design it in illustrator.


Figure 2.12 First attempt.

Then I thought the 'of mind' maybe a little awkward so I moved it down.


Figure 2.14 Attempt #2
Then I decided to add more of the yellow lines so it looks a little more complete.

Figure 2.15 Attempt #3

After my lecturers feedback, I changed somethings.

Figure 2.16 Final Outcome




FEEDBACK

Week 1
No feedback was given this week. 

Week 2
General Feedback: This week we had our presentationa and he gave us some feedback on how we could present better. Eye contact is one of the important aspects that we kind of missed and that we should be maintaining eye contact at all times when presenting. Also, we should put more visual examples so that what we have presented can be much more clear. 

Specific feedback: I was told to just use black and white first before colours for when designing in indesign. Once we are satisfied, only then I should use colours. He also mentioned that for my radial, I used a little bit of dilatational. Mr Vinod commented that it doesnt really work well together as it is kind off confusing and a little cramped. My random is also not random enough. But overall, it was okay.

Week 3


Specific Feedback: Mr Vinod commented on a few of my designs on the typographic system. First for axial, he commented that I have bolded the wrong text ,like for the date I bolded the year rather than the day itself and that the date is much more important than the year. For the names, I bolded the time rather than the names and Mr Vinod commented that I should do the opposite. For my radial designs, he told me to remove the non objective elements as it could be a little too much and also without the elements, it would look much cleaner and the radial system could be seen more clearly.For the dilatational system, he commented that the typeface doesnt really compliment each other as they are both very strong typefaces, so he advised and also helped change the type face for the details into a different so that it compliments well with the title. For my random, it was good. For grid, he commented that I should follow the grids that was in Indesign as that is the rule for grid, and that everything should be allign with each other. Some of the text were too big, so helped me lower the size so that it looks more neat and tidy. For my bilateral, I used the concept of shadows for my text and Mr Shamsul commented that the readability is a little hard and that it doesnt really work. 

Week 4
This week, I showed my lecturers the thumbnails I've printed in week 3 on the typographic systems. The overall typographic systems are okay except for modular. He then explained how the modular typographic system works and told me to change it. After my 2nd attempt, Mr Vinod commented that he still doesn't see how its modular. Then I changed it again. For finding typefaces, he commented that my attempt on finding type on durians is quite interesting. He told me to dissect it further more.

Week 5
This week, we were given an exercise in which we were required to make create a poster and incorporating typography in it. While designing, Mr Shamsul came over and said that my poster was good but my message had no relation with the poster and i should have a message that was related. Online feedback:I think it’s there in terms of shape. However the lines look like a simplistic representation of the rocks in the rock wall. They seem sharp and jagged like flint, which it is not. So refine the lines more

Week 6
Online Feedback: I think you are almost there. I can see the characteristic as well as consistent look and feel in strokes.
This week the lecturers checked our blogs. My blog was overall okay. My type and play part 1 is accepted. For my poster, The 'empire' part is a little weird. Mr Shamsul gave me a suggestion of maybe masking some of the cloud out so that I can put it over the 'Empire'. He also said that i should take out the outlines for the 'of mind' as it looks a little too much and confusing. The lines thas going through the text could also be smoother and also the start of the lines, Mr Shamsul said that maybe i could let it fade in a little. But overall, my poster was fine.


FINDINGS

Week 1 
I could sense that this subject will be much tougher than the previous typography class.

Week 2
Typographic systems are not as straightforward as I thought it was. Some are easy to understand while others take quite a while to understand

Week 3 
When Mr Vinod was briefing our next assignment, I realised that typography can be found everywhere when we look closely.

Week 4

This week, I found out that finding typefaces is not just extracting letters form objects. In order to make it work, we will need to observe closely and carefully correct and dissect it properly.


Week 5
Designing a poster while incorporating type with real life elements its harder than I thought it would be.




OBSERVATIONS

Week 1
Since we gained a little bit more "experience" from the last typography class, I could see that my classmates  are a little less intimidated than the last time and more confident.

Week 2
I could see that my classmates were really really confused, especially when it came to the typography system: grid.

Week 3
While continuing our work in class, I decided that I'd walk around to see our classmates work and I realised that even though we all learnt the same typographic system, we all have a really different way of understanding and interpreting it into our designs.

Week 4
This week, I found out that most of us are still confused with the modular typeface


Week 5
This week, I observed how my classmates designed their posters and I found out that most of us chose a picture with movement so that they could express what they were doing with the movement.




REFLECTIONS

Week 1
I am honestly not ready for what advance typography has to offer as I am personally still kind of scared of this subject, but I will try my hardest to improve.

Week 2
I could see myself struggling when using InDesign cause its honestly not my favourite, but the more exercise I do, I got a little bit more used to it.

Week 3
So far, into week 3, I find typographic a little more interesting as time passes.

Week 4
I realise that I keep forgetting to document my process of how I get from point a to point b and that I should make it a habit.

Week 5
I wasn't confident enough when I was designing the layout of the poster and I was low-key struggling to find a sentence and also I was struggling with how and where to put the text.



FURTHER READING
Week 1




7 Essential Typographic Layout System by Lucas Czarnecki
This ebook is related to the what we will be learning in week 1-week 2. So I read some things on it to learn more about it.



  • Axial
  • Symmetry
  • Radial
  • Dilatational
  • Grid
  • Transitional
  • Bilateral
  • Modural

These systems just add more variety, so that it looks more visually pleasing and also its more interesting for readers. 

Week 2
Thinking with Type: Grid

The Golden Section


The Golden Ratio

When it comes to typography, the golden section is really important. The golden section is a ratio that is a relationship between 2 numbers. This ratio has been used for thousands of years in architecture as well as art. 

The formula for the golden section is a: b = b (a+b). Which means that smaller of 2 elements ( for example the shorted side of a rectangle) relates to the larger element relates to the 2 parts combined. Basically, side a is to side as side b is to the sum of both sides. In numbers, the ratio for the golden section is 1: 1.618

When it comes to the grid, it really depends on a designers point of view. Some think that it is fascinating and actually uses it while some others believe that it is no longer valid as a basis for deriving sizes and proportion tan other methods.

Multicolumn Grid
Multicolumn Grid
Multicolumn grids are more a more flexible format when it comes to publications. More columns = more flexible grids. Not all columns needs to be filled.


Designing with a Hang Line
Hang Line
Hang lines could be created in which we divide the page horizontally. In architecture, horizontal reference points like this is known as a datum.






Week 3 
Typographic Universe by Steven Heller and Gail Anderson



After Mr Vinod introduced to our next task ,which is finding type in things or places and try to make out words, I decided to find out more about it so I went to the library and stumbled upon this book. 
This book is about finding and making type in every day things that we least expect. This book shows that typography is found everywhere and it can be made out of anything. (literally, I saw a letter made out of fingernails so yes, literally anything). Below are some that I find interesting. 

Body Alphabet by Grzegorz Samson, Poland

Fingernail Type by Vladimir KonĨar from Zagreb


Arizona Shapes by Xerxes Irani, Arizona, USA

Google Search by Rhett Dashwood, Australia

Bathroom Alphabet by Yap Ning, Singapore

Bathroom Alphabet by Yap Ning, Singapore

Typeseat by Tim Fishlock, London




Week 4
Why typography is crucial for enhancing UX?

When it comes to designing websites especially when developing new mobile apps, typography is becoming a significant element that is quite important when it comes to mobile applications. It is actually considered as one of the major instruments that shape up the visual communication of a mobile app. 

Mobile applications has a really big role in communicating with users and they have to this well. Developers and designers are striving to make their apps part of a users daily life. Providing users with a highly interactive mobile app so that they can reach their specific goal.

However, each websites demands for a specific typeface and choosing a right one is really important. 

Below are some reasons why good typography is crucial for enhancing users experience.
1.Good typography supports Visual Hierarchy
Typographic hierarchy is important in every aspect when designing mobile apps. The lettering is designed in a hierarchical manner so that users can easily read from top to bottom. Without hierarchy, the content will appear as 'messy' rather than neat. Its absence can affect the users in which it might distract the users and prevent them from accessing the relevant sections. 

2. Typography speaks to end users
With correct and effective typography used, it can really affect a consumers behaviour and it can enhance responsiveness levels. This is because it can highly impact human psychology in a certain manner. Designers use certain types of typography to convey different moods, age personality and gender. With suitable fonts used, it can let users connect with the app and enhance app effiency. The primary aim of a mobile app is for users to engage with the app itself and good typography can enhance a users experience

3. One Bad choice leads to another hassle
However, one small little mistake may lead to to a bigger one, basically a domino effect. That is why, when making a decision, designers have to be really confident with it as one mistake can have a lasting effect on users first impressions. Mistakes that are commonly done by designers, are misjudged text line lengths, wrongly paired typefaces, poor body font choices, wrong chosen line height and others. Spacing is also very important and it should be given a lot of attention as it can help with users reading the text more fluently. Improper spacing, isnstablity, selection of font families and colour runs can ruin the overall brand image.



Week 5
The Latest Trends in Graphic Design: Handmade Typographic Posters 
Handmade typographic posters nowadays have concepts that are much more simple and functional rather than ornaments and decorations that are normally in the past. Each poster emirates a unique and distinct taste. However, because of typographic posters are 2 dimensionally a step towards 3 dimensionality, it is not so correct to keep the same scale with the new typography. It could be much more tangible and can be more artistic expression. The element that gives the poster its beauty is the ration and the proportions within the object. Change that and it disrupt its aesthetics. Experimenting is part of designing, so making it more unique, you can break it down, tear it apart and rebuild it.

According to Laszlo Moholy Nagy:"Typography is a communication tool. Typography has to be the most intensive form of communication. " In order for a poster to successful, it has to have an immediate psychological effect on the audience. As the legiliblity requirements in typographic posters, the concept of communication on the size of the message that was given and talking about all the psychological perception point to a tremendous communication tool affecting immedietly. 


Comments

Popular Posts