Final Project


4 June 2019 ( Week 10) - x (Week 14
Jennifer Tan Qing Ni (0333137)
Advanced Typography
Final Project



LECTURES
Lecture 10
4 June 2019
There was no lectures this week. We proceeded with our final project.

Lecture 11
11 June 2019
This week, a group gave a presentation on Typography in different mediums.



Lecture 12
18 June 2019
No lectures this week. We continued with our final project.


Instructions


FINAL PROJECT

Week 9
This week, our lecturers briefed us for our final project, we were to find something that we could improve or to find a problem that we could solve. What I had in mind has been evolving around children and technology. I wanted to include something like lights. I had some ideas of incorporating light and interactiveness. However, due to time and complication, I wasn't confident that I would finish it on time. So I decided to find another project.

Week 10 (E-Learning Week)-Week 11
IDEA #1
While looking into things, I found out that children alphabets were very bland and the letters were never specially intended for children. The letters all come from existing typefaces and its either colourful or there's something that starts with that particular alphabet next to it. Below are some examples.




Animal Letters Clipart / Alphabet Digital Clip Art by comodo777
Figure 1.1 Example 1 




Love this Print. So colorful and I love the alphabet.
Figure 1.2 Example 2


Folha de Poesia: Abecedário sem Juízo
Figure 1.3 Example 3



So I thought of creating a new typeface that might be able to teach kids with the use of an animation

I then came across a holographic projector that could be built from boards and a screen protector. Below is the video the I watched.



IDEA #2
My 2nd idea uses the same concept, which is the holographic projector, but rather than an animated typeface, I would do a small animation on poetry. My purpose for this was because we are living in a digital age, I would want to bring back literature in a more attractive and technological way by animating it like lyrical video.

Below is what I was inspired by:









Below is a simple proposal.



However, My lecturers thought that my purpose wasn't strong enough and don't really have a clear path.  So instead, they suggested that I should  create gifs to improve the pictures that is sent in WhatsApp messages. Below are some examples. Ive gotta say, they are quite ugly and tacky.


Figure 1.4 Good morning message

Figure 1.5 Example 

Figure 1.6 Example

Figure 1.7 Example 


Week 12-14
I then decided, I would create gifs that could improve this while at the same time, keeping it modern. I narrowed down to  five quotes/slangs:

  • Good Morning Sunshine
  • Shine Brighter than a Diamond
  • Just Chillax
  • Boba cheers
  • Jom gi mamak
I first sketched out how each of the gif would look like.

Figure 1.8 Sketches for 'Good Morning Sunshine'

Figure 1.9 Sketches for ' Shine brighter than a Diamond'

Figure 1.10 Sketches for ' Boba Cheers' and 'Jom Pergi Mamak'

Figure 1.11 Sketches for 'Just Chillax.

Before illustrating each gif, I first went online to look for typefaces that can compliment the quote or slang that I wanted to include. I then started to illustrate the base of the gifs in Photoshop and Illustrator.


#1 Good Morning Sunshine

Figure 1.12 Illustrating 'Good Morning Sunshine'

Figure 1.13 Ilustrating #2
 After drawing everything on separate layers, I then saved each element as a png file and started to animate it in After Effects. I watched a few tutorials to help me achieve the effect I wanted.



Figure 1.14 Animating


Figure 1.15 Animating


#2 Shine Brighter than a Diamond.
For this one, I decided to take to do it straight away in after effects to get the neon look. I followed a tutorial online and it achieved a look that I was quite satisfied with.

Figure 1.16 Neon animation in after effects



#3 Just Chillax
For this gif, I wanted it to have a summer look and I wanted the letters to float on the pool like floats. I first drew everything on photoshop and then I went onto animating it on after effects.



Figure 1.17 Illustrating on photoshop


 
Figure 1.17 Animating in After effects



#4 Boba Cheers
This gif was the most complicated one out of all of the gifs. At first I illustrated it on photoshop but it wasn't easy to animate it in After Effects. So I illustrated it on Illustrator using the pen tool and it was much more better. Animating this was really tricky and it quite a lot of steps but the outcome was quite nice.
Figure 1.18 Illustrating in photoshop


Figure 1.19 Illustrating in Illustrator
Figure 1.20 Animating



#5 Jom Gi Mamak
For this gif, I illustrated Roti Canai to represent the 'mamak'. I had an idea of making the mamak melt into curry on the roti canai. I tried it and it worked, but its not my favourite.


Figure 1.21 Illustrating in Photoshop


Figure 1.22 Animating

Below are my Final Outcomes.

Figure 1. 23 Final outcome for ' Good Mornin Sunshine'



Figure 1.24 Final outcome for 'Shine Brighter than a Diamond'

Figure 1. 25 Final outcome for 'Jom Gi Mamak'


1.26 Final Outcome for 'Just Chillax'



Figure 1.27 Final outcome for 'Boba Cheers'


FEEDBACK

Week 10 
There was no classes this week so no feedback was given. Online Feedback was given for project 2

Week 11
Specific Feedback: This week our lecturers gave us feedback on my blog and they asked me about my further reading and to include it in. After that, I aksed feedback that I had for my final project. They said that my project is interesting, however I should look into it more and be more specific on my choices. Because I wanted to include a poem, they said to choose one.

Week 12
This week we continued with our final project. I asked for feedback on the idea of my final project. The lecuturers thought that my purpose wasnt strong enough and that I should instead make make gifs in order to improve the pictures that is sent through Whatsapp and so I went with it.

Week 13
At first, the lecturers thought that I would need to create a typeface, however, after reading the brief, it was all okay. My first gif was alright. However, the second one, Mr Shamsul said that it doesnt really convey what it is trying to say. The lettering doesnt really suit the word 'shine' and the neon didnt really worked. Mr Vinod told me to add some flickering and some wires to make it more realistic. For the troublemakers poster, Mr Vinod was satisfied with it.

Week 14
Submission week. I was told to update my blog.


FINDINGS
Week 10
This week, I found out there was much more problems that could be improved and solved in the typographic world than I thought.

Week 11
This week, I found out that, although the final project is quite free, you can't really just do what you want. It requires good amount of observation and thinking and also a good purpose.

Week 12
I found out that a good typeface can change the whole vibe of a message. Using a suitable typeface can differentiate one design being good or bad.

Week 13
This week, I found out that animation is a very very tricky process and it requires a lot of patience and skill.


OBSERVATION
Week 10 
This week, I tried to look at what our seniors have done so I can get a clearer idea of what could be done.

Week 11 
This week, I went online and tried to look for something that could be improved. I also walked around campus to try and observe what could be improved or be solved

Week 12 
I was curious what my classmates were doing and so I walked around the class to observe what they were doing for their final project. After walking around, I realised that a lot of my classmates were creating typefaces out of many types of purposes and I thought it was really creative.

Week 13
This week, I went online to observe how animated/illustrated gifs were composed.


Experience
Week 10 
I understood what this project was about, however I wasn't too sure of what I should.

Week 11
Coming with an idea is quite hard, especially when it needs a valid purpose. There is so much things that I would want to do but due to time and also my skill level, I felt that I was too ambitious so I kept searching for new ideas.

Week 12
This week, because of rejections of my idea, I started to get confused of what this project really is about. That is when I started to walk around and look at what my peers were executing. I understood better when I did that.

Week 13 
I found myself enjoying the process of illustrating my gifs. However, choosing slangs/quotes were a hassle because I had to choose those that were manageable for me. Animating was a really tricky. However, seeing the outcome, I was really satisfied.

FURTHER READING

Comments

Popular Posts