Project 2


21 May 2019 - 28 May 2019 (Week 8 - Week 9)
Jennifer Tan Qing Ni (0333137)
Advanced Typography
Project 2


LECTURES 
WEEK 8
There were no Lectures this week.

Week 9
There were no lectures this week.


INSTRUCTIONS



PROJECT 2
After creating our key artwork, we were to move on to designing our collaterals, almost like merchandise of our own theme. We were to apply our key artwork in 3 different collaterals. One mandatory one is a poster.

Collateral #1: Poster
For the poster, we have to put the information below in the poster.

The Design School,
Taylor’s University

The Troublemakers Manifesto: A Design Colloquium
Open Public Lectures:
November 24, 2019
Lew Pik Svonn, 9AM-10AM
Ezrena Mohd., 10AM-11AM
Suzy Sulaiman, 11AM-12PM

November 25, 2019
Dr. Clarissa Ai Ling Li, 9AM-10AM
Professor John Sabraw, 10AM-11AM
Dr. Liyanna Khairuddin, 11AM-12PM

Lecture Theatre 12

I created the poster in Illustrator using the key artwork that I have created. 
Below is my finalised key artwork. 
Figure 1.1 Finalised Key artwork 

Then I started to created the poster while including the all the information that was needed to be included. I changed it along the way after receiving feedback. 
Figure 1.2 Process

Figure 1.3 1st attempt

Figure 1.4 2nd attempt

Figure 1.5 3rd Attempt

Figure 1.6 4th Attempt

Figure 1.7 Final Outcome



Collateral #2: Tote Bag

I then chose a tote bag to incorporate my key artwork on it. 
Figure 1.8 Process // Attempt 1
Figure 1.9 Attempt 2 

Figure 1.10 Attempt 3

Figure 1.11 Final Outcome #1

Figure 1.12 Attempt 4 // Final Outcome #2


Collaterals #3: T-Shirt
Figure 1.13 Attempt 1 (front)

Figure 1.14 Attempt 1 (back)


Figure 1.15 Final Outcome (front)

Figure 1.16 Final Outcome (back)


COMPILATION 

Figure 1.17 Final Poster

Figure 1.18 Final Tote Bag #1



Figure 1.19 Final Totebag #2



Figure 1.20 Final T-Shirt (front)



Figure 1.21 Final T-Shirt (back)

We were required to print out the poster and also one of the collaterals. I decided to go with the tote. Below are the outcomes. ( Poster and Tote Bag)

Figure 1.22 Poster in Frame
Figure 1.23 Printed Tote Bag


Figure 1.24 Tote on User


Figure 1.25 Flat-Lay








FEEDBACK
Week 8
Mr Vinod commented that it was too orientalised. It only represented one type of culture and that if I'm going with a traditional Malaysian look, I should include other cultures and other types of masks. I was told to go back and do some research on the types of masks each culture offers, like the orang asli or the hanumans.

Week 9
Online Feedback: Can. Only our feedback to you was, to de-orientalise the look.There are Indian and orangasli monkeys too. After the above feedback, I tried to change my key artwork according to the feedback he gave. Then I let my lecturers check again. Mr Vinod commented that I kind of chose the wrong mask, as one of them was from a Thai culture and another was not so suitable for the key artwork. Too much was going on in one key artwork and it sort of looked too messy. He explained how there was no need of complex illustrations and that i should just go online and look for pictures and manipulate it on photoshop. Then, he gave me a suggestion on using The 3 Monkeys statues. After a long day of creating the key artwork, Mr Vinod said that it was good job and gave me a high five. Mr Shamsul told me to just arrange 'The' in a different way to make it less awkward.

Week 10
Online Feedback: Blue: increase letter spacing. Turquoise: reduce point size slightly (that’s my advice, but you be the judge whether it’s looks better, if it doesn’t revert). No need skull in front, me thinks. Overkill.


FINDINGS

Week 8
This week I found that doing collaterals was not that easy, you can't just copy paste it onto the collaterals. Rather, we should consider the compositions properly.

Week 9
This week, I found out that arranging the elements in different positions allows me to eventually find out what I want and what is suitable.



OBSERVATIONS

Week 8
In order to know how it should be done, I observed my seniors work and also my classmates work to understand better what I should be doing.

Week 9
To lessen my mistakes, I went online to look up for different designs on t-shirts and tote bags to see how the designs should be composed.


EXPERIENCES

Week 8
I literally thought designing the collaterals was merely just a copy paste thing but it was more than that. I was trying different ways of I can make it look not too much and not too little, but just right.

Week 9
I realised that applying the key artwork on the collaterals was a much easier task than coming up with one. Also, out of all the work, I found the poster the hardest to compose due to the large amount of information needed to be included. It was hard trying to make it look less cramped.




FURTHER READING







Comments

Popular Posts