Final Project



30/6/2020 - 30/7/2020 (Week 12 - Week 16)
Jennifer Tan Qing Ni (0333137)
Sonic Design 
Final Project: Foley

For our final project, we were to do Foley. We were given a few silent movies and we were to choose one and apply foley the silent movie itself. I decided to go for The General. Below is the original silent movie clip. 


I first watched it around 2-3 times so that I can identify some sounds that I would need. 
  1. Floor Creak
  2. Rain
  3. Taking Bat
  4. Head Hitting
  5. Door opening and closing
  6. Body falling on muddy puddle
  7. Muddy Footsteps
  8. Humming
  9. Opening window
  10. Blowing/Whistling
  11. Women scream (with a hand over mouth)
  12. Bed creaks 
  13. Footstep on wood
  14. Dialogues 
  15. Thunder 
  16. Thunder impact on branch 
  17. Branch/Leaves falling
Then I proceeded to put all the sounds into the audio storyboard that was provided to us. 

After that, I started to record all my sounds using my phone and my good ol apple earbuds. Below is what I used to record the sounds. Some sounds were straightforward while some I used my imagination and creativity. 

  • Floor creak- Faulty armchair that made creaks
  • Rain- Showerhead and actual rain 
  • Taking Bat- Pestle on MDF board
  • Door opening and close- Actual squeaky door
  • Body falling and Muddy steps- Cloth soaked with water 
  • Opening and Closing window- Plastic Drawer
  • Blowing/ Whistling- Actually blowing 
  • Women Scream- Me screaming with my hand over my mouth
  • Foodsteps on wood- knocking on MDF board
  • Thunder- Actual thunder recorded
  • Thunder impact- EQ of thunder (manipulated the audio so it sounds like an explosion)
  • Branch/ Leaves falling- Plastic Bag

With all the recording done, I started to put everything in Adobe Audition, and I arranged it according to the video. 

I then rendered the audio and put it into Premiere Pro. Below is my first attempt. 


Mr Razif gave some feedback to me. 
  • BG noise for the rain (white noise) is a little loud, and it can be decreased by reducing the bass 
  • Dialogues and expressions audios were not centred. Convert to from stereo to mono if needed
  • When the body hits the floor, the splash needs to be a little louder 
  • When flipping the body, the splash also needs to be louder
  • Bed squeak is not enough. Bed squeak audio can be doubled and pitch shift and delayed to achieve a better bed squeak noise
  • Footsteps for the escaping scene should have more footsteps.
  • Explosion for when thunder impacts the branch should be louder
  • Branch falling can be EQ and make it sound a little more muffled to give a different texture.
Overall, Mr Razif said that it's good and that each action was accompanied by audio. 

After receiving the feedback, I went and adjusted everything according to what needs to be changed. I had a little trouble with the voice as there were some errors. The dialogue was always doubled despite no changes being made to the dialogue audios. I tried converting the audios from stereo to mono but no changes were heard. 

After editing the audio according to the feedback, I then started to create some suspense music using BandLab to accompany the video. 

I then rendered the BG music. Below is the original mp3 of the audio. 


I then added the BG music using Premiere Pro. 


Below are my final outcomes. 

Video without background music.



Video with background music.


And that's a wrap for Sonic Design! I really had a blast with this subject and I really had a lot of fun with the projects. I never knew playing with sound and music could be that fun. It has definitely has changed my perspective on sound. :3

Comments

Popular Posts