Project 2


Jennifer Tan (0333137)
Interactive Design
Project 1


LECTURES
Week 8
There were no lectures this week due to public holiday.

Week 9
This week, Mr Shamsul and Mr Lun introduced us to Bootstrap which is kind of like a template that may help us to create a responsive and neat website. There were quite a lot of ways we could customise our website and we were encouraged to explore.

Week 10
No lectures this week cause it of public holidays. We continued with our project.

Week 11
Public holiday too. So no lectures and we continued with our project.




PROJECT 2
Week 8 - Week 10 
For this project, we were to create a microsite which is about our typography exhibition in November, which is called "The Troublemakers Manifesto: A Design Colloquium".  We were asked to use bootstrap to do the microsite. The purpose of the website was to introduce the exhibition and let people do reservations.

I first sketched a very basic and simple wireframe on my sketchbook.

Figure 1.1 Sketch


Below is my original key artwork.

Figure 1.2  Key Artwork
Figure 1.3 The colours that I have used. in the key artowrk


Below are the colours that I have used, so I will be mainly using these 3 main colours to do my microsite.

I then moved onto creating something simple on photoshop to kind off see how my sketches would look digitally.


Figure 1.4 Main Page (what I had in mind)

Figure 1.5 

Figure 1.6

Figure 1.7


I then chose a font. I decided to use the font that I have used for my poster.
Figure 1.8

Things that I will be including.


Figure 1.9 Process

Figure 1.10 Process


Below is my pdf.





Here is my link to the website.

https://cocky-euclid-4d8a74.netlify.com

Feedback
Week 8 
This week was a public holiday so no feedback was given.

Week 9
This week, Mr Shamsul and Mr Lun gave us feedback on our exercise. He explained that there was too much going on in the background for each div and that I should put less pictures so that it looks less messy and 'in your face'. He also told me to put the image in the middle a bit.

Week 10
There was no feedback this week cause it was a public holiday


Findings
Week 8 
I found out that focus is key to html. Distraction can really take a toll.

Week 9 
When we were introduced to Bootstrap, I thanked god that there was an easier way to do html codings.

Week 10
This week, I found out a lot about Bootstrap through trial and error.

Week 11
This week, I realised that, one little small mistake in html can change the whole page to a really bad extent.



Observations
Week 8 
I decided to observe how our seniors designed their microsite so I can get an idea of what to do.

Week 9
I decided to walk around to see what my classmates ideas are and I see each of them first sketching and composing it in AI before doing anything on dreamweaver.

Week 10
This week, I watched and observed a few videos on how people use bootstrap

Week 11
This week, was submission week, I walked around class to look at our classmates websites.



Experiences
Week 8
I have been confused about html and I really didn't know what to do and how to start.

Week 9 
When we were told about the concept of bootstrap, I was so relieved.

Week 10
Just when I thought that bootstrap was easy, it was quite the opposite


Further Reading


Aesthetics vs Usability in Web Design
When it comes to a website, its usability can sometimes be distracted by the design. First impressions tends to be really important. However, we need to keep the usability in mind. Even if the the website is beautiful, if something is hard to navigate, then customers wouldn't want to use the website anymore. If the website is

  • Weird layouts
  • Pages take long to load
  • Dead links
  • Hard to navigate on the mobile devices

In UX Design, Functionality and Aesthetics work together.
One thing that shouldn't be done is that the aesthetics of your website separate from its functionality. The usability should be treated as equals.

Natural, Logical and Consistent-Three Important Characteristics
Before a website is published, It must be tested. The factors that should be checked are:
Consistency
The website should have a natural feel to it.
A website should also feel natural. Anything rigid or sharp edges should be avoided
A website should also make sense. That includes each element, button, link and application and others.

Creating Immediate Interest is Essential
There are a ton of websites available on the internet. A website should
Be highly visible. High resolution images should be used
Should be clear, appropriately sized and have legible text
should be usable, well organised and make navigation be intuitive and smooth
Offer a simple soft lead capture offer

The biggest reason why a website is launched, is to engage with users and taking some action. Web and UX Design does not include factors like colour, shading or animations. Usability and mobile responsiveness, and purpose are equally important.

Comments

Popular Posts