Research Implementation


Jennifer Tan Qing Ni (0333137)
Design Research Methodology
Research Implementation

Lectures 
Week 7 | 15th May 2019

This week, our lecturers briefed us on the 3rd project, which is data collection. Below are the slides given. 








Instructions



Research Implementation
Week 7 
After the given lecture, I then proceeded to choosing data collection methods that can help me answer my problem question. My chosen topic is: Why movie posters lack illustrations in the 21st century?

In the middle of choosing a research method, I realised that my topic wouldn't need to use quantitative methods as the nature of the my topic requires qualitative results. I then narrowed down to 2 research methods:

  • Interviews
  • Visual Analysis

Week 8
We had no classes this week so we moved on to researching on our chosen research methods and also preparing for the research. 

Below is my first draft for the slides.




Week 9
This week, I received feedback on my slides and my chosen method. Miss Jinchi pointed out some mistakes that I have made and told me to correct those. Then she told me to send my first email to the interviewee so I can see if I get a response. 

Week 10
There were no classes this week as its Raya Break. I moved on to researching on movie poster artist and listing down a few that I wanted to conduct an email interview to. Below is a list. 




I then came up with my questions so I can send it to them once I receive my first response. Below are some questions that I wanted to ask based on my research problem and research objective. I tried to keep it less bias as possible. Below are my questions.


  1. Do you think that movie posters styles have changed over the years? If so, how?
  2. According to my own observation, I realised that movie posters have evolved from using illustrations to using photo images. Do you agree with my statement? Do explain your answer in detail. 
  3. What influenced the change of medium in movie poster design over the years?
  4. Is there a reason for the style of portrayal of movies in a different medium?
  5. Is there an actual trend when it comes to movie poster design?
  6. Do you think illustrated movie posters should be as common as movie posters that uses photo images? Please explain your answer in detail.



By the end of this week, I received around 2 replies and so I forwarded my interview questions to them and I waited patiently.


Week 11
This week, I received another 2 replies, one of them agreeing to my email interview, hence I forwarded my questions to them and waited. This week, I also started to do my visual analysis. Then, on Wednesday, I then consulted Miss Jinchi on my progress. She said good job and continue on with my interview and my visual analysis. By the end of the week, the replies to my interview questions came through and I started to compile them together in the google slides. I also started to analyse the data. 

Week 12. 
This week, Miss Jinchi checked our progress again. She told me to continue with my visual analysis and my email interview. For my visual analysis, I followed a power point presentation online and the writer of the slides has managed to categorised her visual analysis into a few categories. I read her whole slide and chose 4 categories for my own visual analysis. Miss Jinchi gave me feedback that I should  find out who she was so I can cite her work. 

Week 13
Submission. Below are my slides. 

Comments

Popular Posts